Friday, February 6, 2009

Me-time...

I know, I know... what single person really needs more "me-time". The truth is even a single person can get wrapped up in the things going on around them and forget to see to their own needs. (Because single people have different needs than not-single people)

One of my favorite "me-time" activities involves loading up in the car, taking my lap-top or a good book and heading to the best deli in Title-town. Sitting all alone enjoying a soup and salad combo with a huge sweet tea, I can just let everything on my mind just drift away... and enjoy being in the moment.

So, what is being in the moment for me? It's not worrying about the latest drama at work, or which family member needs things done, or even about the friend who's dating someone that deep down you worry isn't right for her. It's about letting the world just drift away and being totally engrossed in that sappy romance novel with the rich, handsome hero who sweeps the absolutely humble and beautiful heroine off her feet and rides into the happily ever after sunset. It's about laughing to myself as I browse the internet for new or different products that I wish I could afford or would absolutely never buy. It's about making eye-contact with a cute stranger or waiter and knowing that it's completely harmless and will never come to more than a smile that makes someone's day. It's about not letting being alone interfere with my ability to enjoy the things going on around me.

Sometimes, being single is a burden... when you have to go to another "couples-event" or when you go to a wedding or baby shower and have to answer the dreaded question "So, when are you..." over and over again. But most of the time, it's a blessing that few people ever learn to appreciate. (The clarity changes like the weather in Florida) It's the one time in your life when you can go and do and see and experience things without worrying about what someone else needs or wants. It's the one time in your life when if you truly want to, you can give God your full focus and seek His will. (I did not make that one up... it's in I Corinthinans 7:34)

I can't say that I have fully mastered appreciating single life... in fact, a lot of days, I forget all the good things about it, but I can say that I wouldn't be who I am today if I hadn't had the time to discover me... and figure out what a unique individual that I am! And hopefully, if Mr. Amazingly Right does happen to come along, He'll see the find of person that he just can't pass up!

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy your precious me-time! I wish I had had your "clarity" when I was single. Oh the days of sitting at a coffee shop with a good book or computer....big sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, seriously, enjoy this me-time while you can...all that coffee-shop talk makes me a little jealous, I guess the grass is always greener, right? And just tell all those nosy biddies to shut it..it's not their business "when you...."!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...I know exactly what you mean. I love the me-time, but being single isn't all its cracked up to be all the time. I hate those dreaded questions too. As a side note, I also hate the "Aleta, are you still in school?" I always want to answer them, "No, I dropped out when I got knocked by my boyfriend Snake." tee-he-he. But that's evil. My suggestion to you is to make up some strange answer for their dumb questions. But seriously, I know what you mean. It has its pros and cons, like everything.

    ReplyDelete