Monday, June 24, 2013

Its getting REAL

I turned in my keys at work today... I've had possession of those keys for 10 years.  That key ring has the first key I was given when I started teaching at Chiefland, (its a stub that I broke off in the door several years ago and my maintenance friends had to fish out of the lock before they made me a new one.)  It has the magic gate key that opens way too many locks around our campus, and the key that even Dallas didn't get. (He doesn't know that... )

They've hired my replacement.  I like him.  He taught with me once before and I know he'll do a good job in the classroom.  I sorta feel like I trained him, since he won't make too many changes to the way things happen.  And because we've worked together before, he won't feel threatened if I have contact with my former students.  He was one of my "picks" to take my place.

I've started packing.  Have I ever said how much I hate packing?  I hate packing for short trips, so you know I really hate packing for this one!  What to take, what to leave, what to throw away, what to give away.  Its quite overwhelming to take it all in... even more overwhelming is the fact that in 13 days, I'll drive out of my driveway and be gone for at least a year.

People keep asking, if I'm sure.   To be honest, I don't think I'd back out now even if I didn't want to go... for fear of looking like the most colossal chicken ever born to human parents!  The truth is, if I could get someone else to pack for me, I'd already be ready to go!  But since that's not gonna happen, I find myself in a vicious round of washing, folding and sorting clothes into piles of fits and going, fits and not going, doesn't fit, but don't want to get rid of it, and it needs to go!

I've started saying my goodbyes.  This might be the hardest part.  Not because I don't want to go, but because I don't know what tomorrow will bring.  And I would hate for anyone not to know how much they mean to me.

So... its getting REAL.  And in 13 days... wow!

1 comment:

  1. You are in my prayers, what an awesome move!! I have to admit my first thought when I heard was, "Katie won't be at VBS, who'll take care of Ansley" This is going to be an amazing adventure!!

    ReplyDelete