Saturday, November 30, 2013

Its A Clark Thing




Thirty one years ago, mom's dad passed away the week of Thanksgiving.  At the time, there were 3 grand-kids, age 3.5, 1.5 and 6 months. (That was Dustin, Me, and Frankie)  Needless to say, we don't really remember that much about him except what we've been told.  Today, there are 25 first cousins that range in age from 35 to 7.  Growing up, our parents made sure we got to spend time together in the summers, at family reunions and especially Thanksgiving.  Moving out here has given me the opportunity to get to know some family that we didn't get to spend a lot of time with growing up.  Along the way, we've figured out that even though we grew up thousands of miles apart, we've actually got a lot in common.  We laugh and call them "Clark-Things"  

In honor of Thanksgiving- which is the unofficial Clark Holiday- here's my list of "Clark Things"  

1.  We love to eat and cook, but not a single one of us uses a recipe!  True story, Uncle Joe made the most amazing salmon bisque I've ever had the first time I visit them in California.  When we went back a couple of years later, I asked if he was going to make it again and he looked at me with a blank look-- because he had no clue how he had made it that time!  Come to find out, we're all that way!  

2.  We are fiercely patriotic.  Of the 25 cousins, 8 are either former or active military members (or about to go in.)  Three generations of our family have served our country proudly.  We might bend the rules a little when we don't think they make sense, but we all believe in showing respect for our country and the men and women who protect and defend it.  

3.  We are as different as night and day, but all have a deep love of family.  As different as we all are, I don't know a single one of us who would willingly pass up on the opportunity to visit with one of the family.  We've been known to meet at the interstate just to see each other for 15 minutes when someone is passing through town.  And forget a hotel room, we'll all sleep on the floor or couch if it means getting to spend a little bit more time together!  We don't talk on a daily basis, but there's not a single Clark I know if that wouldn't do whatever they needed to do to help the family if they got in a bind.   

4.  We are life-long learners.  I don't mean this in the we all have advanced degrees way, I mean that we are constantly trying something new.  I don't know a single Clark that doesn't have some kind of hobby that required them to teach themselves something.  Jeannie & Dustin make cheese, Michele loves photography, Cassie cans, and the list goes on and on... On top of that, we're full of "useless" knowledge.  Who else would know what a group of kangaroos is called? 

5.  We're procrastinators, but we're good at it!  I can't tell you how many times I finished a project that was well done, but could have been done better if I had started sooner or how many times I've heard my cousins say the same thing!  

I'm sure this list could go on and on.  And I'm sure my cousins and aunts and uncles could add a few more. Feel free to comment and add your own "Clark Things" if you think of one I've forgotten! 

No comments:

Post a Comment