Thursday, February 4, 2010

Wishing Life Away


When I rolled over this morning to check the alarm clock beside my bed I thought to myself, "Ugh, I don't want to get up... why can't it be the weekend?" And just as quickly, I though of the words to that old country song "Driving my life away."

If you're anything like me, you're probably just as guilty of "wishing time away". On Monday, you can't wait for Friday to get here. In August, you can't wait for Christmas break to arrive. We set our mind on making it to a certain date or event and get so focused on that point that we forget to savor all the small moments along the way.

As I groggily headed to the shower to get ready for work, I reminded myself about Matthew 6:34 which warns us about worrying about tomorrow instead of focusing on today because each day has it's own problems without adding tomorrow's to it. And just like each day has its own troubles, each day has its own joys. If we wish away our lives, aren't we wishing away all the small wonders around us as well!

I've hit a super-reflective point in my life... I am nearing a milestone that I'm not too sure I'm happy about. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to be alive, and I while I have very few regrets about the life I have lived so far, I do sometimes wish I could get back a few of those moments that just seem to have flown away so quickly.

As I drove in to work this morning, I said outloud in my car (yes, I do talk to myself sometimes) "This is the day that the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." And for me, that means not wishing the hours away, but enjoying the moments that make each day special and unique!






2 comments:

  1. and I hope it was a good day! :)
    So true, Kate... so true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How perfect is your post!!! I LOVE IT! Thank you for sharing that!!!

    ReplyDelete