Friday, July 19, 2013

Settling In

I realize I haven't posted in about a week... which may or may not happen pretty often as this year goes by!  The last week has been a lot of settling in and figuring out where I was... literally and otherwise!  

Last Thursday, after a good nights rest, and waking up at 5:30 AM because the sun was shining in my window, I got my first experience with hauling water (which did not actually happen at 5:30 AM).  For those who aren't familiar with western states water rights, there are places where either there isn't any water or someone else already owns the rights to what water is there.  In this case, when my Uncle's family built their place, they drilled for a well, but didn't find any water.  SO, what do you do?  Well, they buy water in town and haul it up the hill to be stored in cisterns for both the house and Barn.  For the house, they usually haul a load (1000 gallons) every two or three weeks but the barn requires hauling more often, especially in the summers.  This isn't an uncommon situation out here and there are even places in town that have to have buy water.  So much so that there are a couple of water delivery services in town.  

I've been driving around a lot, trying to figure out exactly where things are located.  The area of Montana where I am living is right along I-90 between Billings and Big Timber, so I have been rambling around those areas.  Saturday morning, I got up and wandered over to Big Timber.  To be honest, I probably wasted more gas wandering around this week than I should of, but it was a pretty drive every time!  I absolutely loved finding this herd of cows on the side of the road.  I've always had a soft spot for a Hereford, and this cow was just too much to pass by without snapping a picture to share!

The Yellowstone River flows pretty close to I-90 for most of the distance from Billings to Big Timber and there were so many spots where I would love to stop and take pictures to share, but the thing I have discovered is that no camera can compare to what you can see with your eyes.



After my trip over to Big Timber, I stopped in Columbus to visit my cousin Jeannie and her family.  I love hanging out with Jeannie and her crew and jumped at the chance to enjoy the afternoon and supper with them.  Jeannie and I have a blast together and getting to spend more time with her is one of the things I've looked forward to the most about my move!  She and her Husband have a place right outside of town with lots of animals and room to run and play!  Before we could fix dinner, we had to milk the cow and the goat!  I say we- really I just watched!
After that, we enjoyed an awesome supper of steak and potatoes that Jeremy grilled.  We even topped our steaks with home-made goat cheese (SUPER YUM!!) that Jeannie and the girls had made.

Sunday morning, I worshiped with the small congregation that meets in Laurel.  They were very kind and welcoming and I am looking forward to getting to know them even better in the future!  Its a very small building and a small group, but the singing felt like home!  (I can't usually say that when I travel)

Monday I began looking for a job.  I realized when I was getting dressed that morning that its been 10 years since I've interviewed for a job and I didn't really pack many "job interview" clothes to bring with me!  So far, I've turned in 7 or 8 applications and haven't heard anything.  I have to keep reminding myself that I only started looking on Sunday!  But the good thing about not having a job yet is that I have had time to check out Stillwater County's Youth Fair.


Bailey is a first year 4H member and completed several different projects this year.  Tuesday and Wednesday, She showed her dog, Gus in the obedience and agility contests. Gus is a Catahoula-Border Collie cross and just as sweet as can be!  I think this was Bailey's favorite project that she did for the Fair.  

The other little blond in the picture is Bailey's younger sister, Addison (aka Addy Lou). She's not old enough to show anything yet, but I'm sure she'll be ready when it gets to be her turn to show!

On Thursday, she showed her horse Rosie and won the Trail Class!  and today, she showed her Saanan Milk Goat in the Dairy Goat show.  She was one of two kids who showed goats at their fair.  Evidently the other kids in Columbus haven't seen many goats, since they are all fascinated with watching Bailey milk her goat!


Thursday afternoon, Angie, Mesa and I met some of their friends up at the Cooney Dam Reservoir to swim.  What an amazing view!  The water felt about like it does the first time you jump in the springs, but I'm not sure what the temperature was.  There were some boats out on the other side, but where we were was a perfect spot to swim with the kids!  I can't wait to go back again!  


Hopefully, next time I post, I'll be able to share some good news on the job front!  Until then... 

No comments:

Post a Comment